Churches

Parish Church of St. John the Baptist - Church of San Cristóbal - Capilla de la Virgen de los Desamparados

IGLESIA PARROQUIAL SAN JUAN BAUTISTA
S. Juan the Baptist parish temple is a magnificent building of classical Valencian baroque. The first stone was positioned on 14th April 1736, and it was blessed thirty years later. The architect José Herrero made the plans; masters such as V. Carbó and F. Garrafulla worked on it, and later Juan Barceló, who finished it. It was financed by the village of Alcalà itself.

The parish temple has a Latin cross floor, with four sections in the central nave and sides, side chapels between the buttresses, covered with a barrel vault and slender dome on tambour and curved edge triangles on the cross section, as well as domes in the side naves. At the bottom is the entrance to the Communion chapel, with a Greek cross floor.

The façade centres on a portal with a type of baroque altarpiece, an upper arabic moulding and crowned with decorative candelabras and the monumental image of Archangel San Miguel /replaced in 1986). In each of the naves, three portals open, the side ones are framed by means of Tuscan columns, the central one displays a superimposition of free columns on pedestals. Over the door, a niche with a reliquary whose pilasters frame it. Between the side columns are other niches.

The temple has a notable group of garlands which spread over windows, and ceiling roses on arches and vaults. Paintings are generously spread in the preaching of the pilasters of the central nave, as well as in all the curved edge triangles ­ there are forty paintings ­ and a vault with access to the Communion chapel. The retrochoir was recently restored with amagnificent canvas of The beheading of San Juan, a work by the artist Vicent Traver Calzada, with a well-thought out theme revealing our time. The picture evokes the story of San Juan with costumes of the day.

On the right of the monumental façade of the church, is the bell-tower, 'the highest in the Valencian Community'. Work on it was started on 15th August 1784 and it was finished on 14th June 1803. it is based on drawings by the architect Juan Barceló, and after his death, was finished by Blas Teruel.

The work, which is completely in stone was designed for the town, in the square which stretches out below it, an urban mark, a monumental space, which acts as a visual viewpoint for the whole town. The octagonal shaped tower, joins the central body of the tower with buttresses at the sides and horizontal moulding; at the base, there are three steps and a raised access front, with the image of Sta. Bárbara. The access to the group of bells is by a spiral staircase, and by another, to the upper rooms. The belfry is opened at each face by long round arches. Raised on tall pillars, is the last group of bells. It is crowned by a smooth octagonal vault with a large ball at the top, which serves as a base for the image of San Juan Bautista. It was placed, in replacement of an earlier one on 26th October 1901 by the tightrope walker José Puertollano.

SAN CRISTOBEL CHURCH
On its present site, there was once a watchtower which dominated the Carregador, Romana and Fuentes beaches. This tower was built in the centre of Alcossebre, and we have been informed that it was still standing in 1610, but through disuse, it fell down little by little, until in 1785 there were only ruins of the walls remaining.

At the end of the XVII century, on this site, a hermitage was built, dedicated to San Cristobal, which was later pulled down to construct the present church. It is located in San José street.

CHAPEL OF THE VIRGEN DE LOS DESAMPARADOS
This chapel is situated in the street which receives its name from what it is offered to, on the corner of Alcalde Puig. The first phase was built in 1705, in masonry, with a lintel over the door on top of which there was a window and a simple cornice and bell. It has only one nave and four sections, in the first is a dome. Then follows a deep vault. The vestry has a flat roof. The second phase was built in 1863.